Monday, January 26, 2009

Bad start to my weekend...

On Saturday, I had planned to spend the day in Central London and go see Billy Eliot. Unfortunately luck wouldn’t have it! I got to Picadilily Circus around 10am and bought a ticket for the 2:30pm show. Then I went to a jewelry store to look at a ring that Michael had found on-line. After that, I decided to go to a Starbucks for a little bit before heading over to the theater. I sat at Starbucks for about an hour and then I went to the theater. When I got to the theatre, I went to get my ticket out of my wallet and realized that my wallet was gone. I ran back to Starbucks hoping that I had left it on the counter, or that someone had turned it in, but no one had. It appears that while I was sitting in Starbucks someone sat behind me and pulled my wallet out of my purse. I rushed home to cancel all of my cards. I had made copied of all of my cards when I came over here, so I knew exactly what was taken. I found out that my corporate and personal American Express cards were tried at an ATM, but the access was denied. My Wells Fargo ATM was denied as well, but they were able to use my Wells Fargo Credit Card, and managed to rack up $3000 worth of stuff at a Men’s clothing store. I was able to cancel all of my cards and I put a Fraud Alert on my credit, so that if anyone tries to open up a line of credit in my name, they have to contact me directly for approval. My Social Security number and drivers license were in there as well, so I am so worried about my identity being stolen. The only good thing is that my passport was not in my wallet, so I still have some form of identification. So I had no access to any money for the rest of the weekend. I was able to go to my UK bank here this morning and cash a check so I now have some cash until all my replacement cards arrive.



Yesterday, my co-worker, Marcus and his Girlfriend Linda took me out. They paid for everything, which was so nice of them. I had called Marcus on Saturday and told him that I didn’t think I would be able to make it due to what had happened. But he insisted that I go and that they would pay my way. So we went to Canterbury to see the Canterbury Cathedral. It was awful weather yesterday, cold, windy and raining, but the Cathedral was gorgeous. We then drove down to Dover to go to the Dover Castle and see the White cliffs of Dover. But they had closed the Castle for the day due to the high winds. We are still wondering why a castle would be closed because of winds..but that is England for you! So we went to the cliffs…It was amazing…absolutely beautiful. It was funny, because the wind was really strong at the top of the cliff, it felt like you were going to get blown over. We were all bundled up freezing our butts off, but it was a lot of fun. We walked along the coast for a while and then went to a local pub for dinner. I had my first proper Sunday roast. It was so good! Then we headed back home. It was a nice way to end a not so great weekend!

2 ½ more weeks and I will be home. I am going to start my packing this week and ship some stuff home. I’m so excited! Can’t wait to be home!



Love You all,





Cantebury Cathedral













Dover Castle - That we weren't able to go into =(




The White Cliffs of Dover




Linda, Me and Marcus on the cliffs - trying not to get blown over!




Me acting silly!



Me down at the beach




The Coast of England - France is about 20 miles from where we were - just accross from the English Channel - On a clear day you are suppose to be able to see France.























































No comments: